Securing Events through Exceptional Focus, Performance and Control in Extreme Situations (Situational Awareness)
Wednesday, November 3, 2021
The Bushnell (166 Capitol Ave, Hartford)
9am – 12pm OR 6pm – 9pm
As our organizations continue to navigate shifting state and national guidelines for reopening, we must also face our changing relationships with our patrons and visitors. No matter how tight a ship you run with COVID-19 safety, the truth is that not all audiences will take to it kindly. For this reason and more, the Greater Hartford Arts Council and The Bushnell are coordinating a sector-wide De-Escalation and Situational Awareness training. This will be training for front-of-house staff, volunteers, and any interested employees. The training will include active participation in exercises by attendees. Join Mark Herrera, Director of Education at the International Association of Venue Managers for this in-person, half day workshop, designed to increase levels of awareness and de-escalate undesired behavior while managing intense emotions leading to potentially aggressive situations.
During this one-time, three-hour workshop, you’ll learn how to identify and mitigate risk of harm to oneself and others through de-escalation techniques and using appropriate strategies to reason with non-compliant guests. This course is designed to also enhance situational awareness by providing training to challenge teams to quickly identify agitated guests and resolve potentially violent conditions while appearing calm, centered, and self-assured while deploying the best in customer services, guest experience.
Light beverage service will be provided at both sessions. Proof of vaccination or a negative COVID-19 test, per Bushnell policy, would be required for all participants and masks must be worn at all times, except when eating or drinking. Social distancing will be observed. This workshop is produced in partnership with The Bushnell.
- Increasing personal safety & decreasing stress when encountering someone uncooperative
- Utilizing de-escalation strategies and techniques to avoid potential explosive situations
- Programming the mind through mental preparation to see beyond one’s normal pre-conditioned expectation as it relates to potentially disruptive behavior by providing a tool for maximum team engagement
- Enhancing conflict management to assist one in preventing confrontations from becoming volatile situations
- Enhancing professionalism and assisting employees in recognizing the impact their words or actions have on the public
- Controlling the body’s physiological effects during uncomfortable situations in order to gain maximum control with a positive outcome
- Reducing vicarious liability by training employees how to handle encounters skillfully and professionally thereby, reducing potential complains and lawsuits
- Leveraging guest services to mitigate safety and security risks