Neighborhood Studios is the Arts Council’s arts education program for local teens, ages 14-18. During this six-week summer apprenticeship, students receive hands on instruction in an artistic medium, as well as career skills training to prepare them for today’s creative workplace. Each apprentice also receives a weekly stipend so they don’t have to choose between a quality arts education and a summer job.
Working as paid apprentices at some of Hartford’s most renowned cultural institutions, students receive training in dance, theatre, photography, writing, stage design, music, and public art. Apprentices are paid a $100 weekly stipend, teaching them the important responsibility of a paying job. Throughout the program, apprentices participate in all-day workshops with master teaching artists including a career building curriculum that teaches resume building, financial literacy, interviewing and networking skills, as well as vocational skills necessary to succeed in today’s workforce: creative problem solving, multi-media communication, teamwork and civic responsibility.
Join us at the 2018 Neighborhood Studios Showcases, July 30-August 4!
The Amistad Center for Art & Culture. Grow your photography skills!
- Learn how to operate a camera
- Learn to design and install a photography exhibit
- Use digital and film cameras, develop photographs in a darkroom and edit images with Photoshop software
- Explore the theme “The Journey of Words to Images”
Write to the Point
The Mark Twain House & Museum.
Write where Mark Twain wrote!
- Study in the Mark Twain House archives
- Explore poetry and creative writing through various writing exercises
- Compose and perform a piece exploring place and identity
- Consider how living in Connecticut shapes who you are as a writer”
Youth Jazz Orchestra
Enhance your musical abilities!
- Gain improvisational and solo performance skills
- Study jazz, blues, gospel and R & B
- Learn about music theory, sight-reading, Western classical technique, modern concepts
- Study the history of Pan-African music instrumentalists
- Vocalists are welcome to apply.
Making a Scene
Explore the art of theatrical production!
- Engage in the set design process
- Learn about different tools used in scenic construction
- Build set pieces for TheaterWorks summer production
- Creative energy and willingness to try new things are required
Put a modern twist on a classic!
- Learn breakdancing techniques and movement
- Study physical and vocal characterization
- Interpret classical text
- Show off your new skills in an exciting, high-energy public performance that makes Shakespeare accessible to audiences of all ages.
Eye on Video
Real Art Ways.
Learn the art of filmmaking!
- Explore film history and the intricacies of film making
- Learn about screenwriting, storytelling and composition
- Use professional cameras and equipment to create an independent project
- Utilize digital video production
- Learn to edit with Adobe Creative Suite